Monday, April 16, 2007

Hayom arbaa asar yom, shehaym sh'nay shavuot baomer

Vertebrate animals can suffer and have the capacity to feel joy, fear, and other emotions. Many develop friendships and have strong family bonds. Chickens, for example, are sophisticated animals whose cognitive abilities surpass those of dogs, cats, and even some primates. If you wouldn't inflict acts of cruelty on dogs or cats, it's no more morally acceptable to do the same thing to chickens or other animals. This is what went through my head when I saw the ad to the left: Wait, that's not a dog saying, "Woof." That's a chicken. I expected a dog to bark, not a chicken. But wait, why wouldn't I regard chickens in the same way as I regard dogs? If I wouldn't cut the muzzle off a dog or slit open a dog's throat while he or she is still conscious, why is it OK to do that to a chicken? It's not.

No comments: